The National Pastime – Episode 14
Hosts: Melvin, Ryan, Megan, Zack, Sofia
The last episode of the season and possibly our best episode yet! Our hosts this week discuss hyperviolence in video games, but the conversation evolves into so much more.
- Just keep in mind that we recorded this early May so we didn’t know about FFXV yet…
- Melvin also says something with Halo and green blood that he confused hearing somebody talk about it rather than actual source. SORRY!
The National Pastime – Episode 13
Hosts: Melvin, Brodie, Clayton, Liz
This week, our hosts discuss the need, or lack thereof, of deep stories in video games.
- This was a really short episode because a few of our podcasters had to leave for apointments. I still think it’s a good episode, it”s just shorter than our usual.
- We recorded this before The Last of Us came out so weren’t able to include it in this conversation.
The National Pastime – Episode 12
Hosts: Melvin, Megan, Kayley, Ryan
This week, our hosts talk about who they’d be on a sitcom set and backwards compatibility in games and the next gen!
- It should be noted that we recorded this at the end of April so there’s a lot of stuff about next-gen we didn’t know yet for the conversation, but it doesn’t affect the conversation THAT much.
- Oh, also, I didn’t realize until after the episode but we never really finalized what kind of sitcom character Ryan would be. I think he’d be more of a Joey (from Friends) character cause he has lots of sex and is dumb =D
The National Pastime – Episode 9
Hosts: Melvin, Clayton, Liz, Brodie
Our topics of discussion this week cover video game weapons during a zombie apocalypse AND licensed property games. SPOILER ALERT: Melvin gets a little bit yelly.
The National Pastime – The Last of Us Spoilercast
Hosts: Melvin, Clayton, Megan
This week is our special The Last of Us spoilercast! Be warned, if you have not finished the game, THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. If you want to discuss some of the points we raised on the podcast about The Last of Us, you can do so in the comments, or you can find us on twitter.
- There will NOT be a new episode next week. This one is coming in really early because I don’t want to post a spoilercast AFTER when everyone is giving a shit, so it’s coming now. Also, Canada Day next week and I’ll be busy at work that day so I won’t have time to post anything.
The National Pastime – E3 Part 3
Hosts: Melvin, Clayton, Ryan
This is our special E3 episode, broken up into four parts. Part 3, we talk all about the Sony conference!
- We recorded the episode before Microsoft’s backtracking on their DRM and used games policy so, yeah, we talk about the situation as it was a few days after E3
The National Pastime – Episode 3
Hosts: Melvin, Clayton, Brodie
This week on the National Pastime, we discuss taking vacations in video game worlds, the nature of micro-transactions in video games, and how shitty it can be to have micro-transactions rammed down our throats.
- Not-DnD-game: Melvin makes reference to a Not-DnD-game played with Clayton (Zack, another host of TNP, and others were there) and to clarify, the game played was sort of like DnD, but also not. They took the basic idea of role playing a zombie apocalypse and applied it to real world settings. For us, it was at our school, ACAD. We included super powers, like waterbending or dragon shouts from Skyrim, and applied damage through varied numbers of D6’s. We used the number of zombies defeated as a point of reference for leveling up. The higher level we got, the more D6’s we used for damage. Enemies would scale in level along with us. We established a certain number for HP for enemies that gradually increased as we got stronger.
Warning: More often than not, we WILL get off topic.